Thursday, March 11, 2010

Poached Eggs: Patience is a Virtue

My boyfriend and I have cooked several recipes from one of our new cookbooks, Ad Hoc at Home, and since purchasing the cookbook we have had our eye on the grilled asparagus with prosciutto, fried bread, poached egg and aged balsamic vinegar dish.

We finally got the chance to make this simple dish last week. The ingredients are served fresh, allowing the poached eggs to be the stars of this combination. Neither Jordan nor I had ever made poached eggs before, so we read the recipe carefully and did our best to get it right the first time. Unfortunately, we didn't.

I learned that poached eggs are not any easy fix.


Poached egg attempt #1


Poached egg attempt #2


Poached egg attempt #3

On the fourth attempt, we finally produced a beautiful and edible poached egg. They were buttery and delicious.



Instead of using Keller's recipe for croutons, I made my own. By cubing bread, drizzling with oil and baking for 15 minutes in a 300 degree oven, I made a simple crouton with just the right amount of crispiness and flavor.




The saltiness of the prosciutto, crispy croutons, tart asparagus and buttery eggs all married well perfectly together. I have a feeling this dish will become a go-to for us.

1 comment:

  1. Liv, I think I will buy you an egg poaching pan. Sounds like a yummy dish. Mom

    ReplyDelete