Monday, March 8, 2010

Cleaning the Closet

Every year I attempt to de-clutter my too small of a bedroom closet. Usually, this only involves doing a quick run through of clothes and picking out the few items that don't appeal to me any longer. This year, however, I decided it was time for a major closet overhaul. My closet was a mess, filled with mismatched hangers and items shoved in every available corner. My sock drawer was even overflowing.

I started the de-cluttering process by establishing a few simple ground rules. First, if I hadn't worn an item in over a year I had to get rid of it, no matter how much I loved it. Second, if an item was stained or faded it had to go, unless there was a possible chance of salvaging it. Third, if I happened to have three or more of one item (ie: a black cardigan) I had to pair down and keep only the ones that I liked or wore the most. Like any de-cluttering process, it was hard to get rid of things. However, by sticking to my ground rules I was able to get rid of a ton of stuff!

Sock drawer before and after.



I think it's hilarious that after accumulating all these bags to go to Goodwill, my closet STILL looks crowded. It is much neater, though, and I have a better sense of what I have. For the past few days, I have put together outfits with pieces that I haven't worn in months. It feels good to have a clutter-free closet and to be wearing a better variety of clothing.



While I was at it, I also decided to clean the hall closet and the chest in our bedroom. In total, I accumulated 3 trash bags and two shopping bags worth of stuff. Not bad for a days work!

De-cluttering my closets gave me a sense of satisfaction. However, it also brought to light a sad reality of mine: I have way too much stuff. So, in an attempt to simply my life and save money while in the process, I have decided to go on a shopping "diet." For the next 5 months I'm only allowing myself to buy a limited number of clothing items. I'm hoping this process won't be as torturous as a real diet, and that it won't cause an impulsive, shopping binge come August 10th.

I'm allowing myself to buy: one suit, one pair of summer sandals, and one summer blouse. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment