Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Weschler's Auction House: Let the Bidding Begin

I've been frequenting Weschler's Auctioneers for a few months now on almost a weekly basis. For those of you not familiar, Weschler's is a auction house located in the Penn Quarter neighborhood of DC. Its existence predates the twentieth century as do many of its items for purchase.

My first experience there was at an actual live auction. It was really fun to see how the bidding system worked and to get a sense of the caliber of pieces they sold.  Then, when I discovered they also held silent auctions each week, I started going to those too.  

Let me tell you friends: THIS CAN BE A DANGEROUS HABIT, especially if you have a house of empty rooms to fill. But if you decide to fall victim to the auction, count on Weschler's for some sweet deals and quality finds.  In my quest for a new dresser this weekend, I stumbled on these beauts.




I placed an absurdly low bid for the Federal-style dresser shown in picture three. If Weschler's isn't too insulted and I'm lacking bidding competition, maybe I'll win. I find out later today- fingers crossed!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of it, but have never actually gone. Your pictures are convincing me and I'm afraid it will become a dangerous habit.

    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete