But, keeping our belongings organized is so important to decorating and maintaining our homes. To make things easy for my mom, I set up a few ground rules that made the de-clutter process less stressful.
1. Be Prepared- Make three designated piles labeled, "keep", "toss", and "donate."
2. Bring a Friend- Having someone with you to help you through the process will only make it easier.
3. Follow the One Year Rule- If you haven't worn or used it in a year, get rid of it.
4. Only keep what fits or what you use regularly. Also, get rid of any duplicate items.
5. Plan for what you keep- After narrowing down your belongings to what you'd like to keep, buy accessories for your closet and shelves to store your things appropriately.
Believe it or not, my mom got rid of two car loads of stuff! I was so proud of her. She also has a better sense of what she has and where it is. Before you decide to tackle your clutter, do yourself a favor and follow these few simple steps.